Sunday 9 October 2016

A tribute.

 Hemukata Hillocks, Hampi. 



I don't have any photos of you. I never thought I'd need one.
I still remember when I got you. You were small and Meek - like me.
In a new school, I didn't think I'd survive.
I was wondering if you'd survive too.
I hugged you tight on the ride home.
I didn't know if my Acha and Amma will accept you.
When I reached home, I cleared a spot and
I fed you and took care of you
Acha and Amma were skeptical at first, but they grew fond of you as well.
I talked to you, which sounds stupid, but I was convinced you could hear me.
But I had to leave to a new place, but you stayed put. You had no choice but too.
I saw glances of you when I was there, but we grew distant.
You grew tall and imposing, and I couldn't not feel proud of you.


When I planted you, I thought you'd be there forever.
I thought, no matter how much my life changed,
No matter what happened, when I come back, you'd be there,
Where you always was.
But I was wrong.
I learnt today, you're gone.
You're gone forever.
And I didn't say goodbye.
I'm sorry.
I should have spend more time with you.
I should have thought about you more often.
But I didn't.
And there is no excuse for that.
But I'll keep your memory alive.
I promise.

A tribute to അപ്പൂപ്പൻ (Grandfather), a Mahagony tree given to me on June 5, 2007, as part of World Environment Day Celebrations. I saw that he was cut down today, at my old house.


No comments:

Post a Comment